Star Trek: The Next Generation
“The Best of Both Worlds, Part I”
|Episode Number||74 (3.26)|
When the Borg begin attacking within Federation space, Borg specialist Lt. Commander Shelby joins the Enterprise. After a short battle, the Enterprise retreats into a nebula. Hidden in the nebula, the crew works to turn the main deflector dish into a high-energy weapon. The Borg kidnap Picard, transform him into a Borg designated as "Locutus" to be their spokesman, and set a direct course for Sector 0-0-1 — Earth. When a rescue attempt fails, Riker orders "Mr. Worf…fire." (To be continued…)Guest Cast
Whoopi Goldberg (Guinan)
Elizabeth Dennehy (Lt. Commander Shelby)
George Murdock (Admiral J.P. Hansen)
Colm Meaney (Chief Miles O'Brien)
- The Season 3 finale cliffhanger; continued in the 4th season premiere "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II".
- Lt. Commander Shelby is the head of Starfleet's Borg tactical analysis team.
- The Borg were introduced in Season 2's "Q Who".
- Riker is offered command of the U.S.S. Melbourne NCC-62043. He decides to stay on the Enterprise. (Good thing, because the Melbourne is destroyed by the Borg in Part II.) This is the third time he's turned down a promotion to captain. The first two were the U.S.S. Drake and the U.S.S. Aries.
- Elizabeth Dennehy is actor Brian Dennehy's daughter.
- George Murdock previously played "God" in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.
- "The Best of Both Worlds" was voted the most popular episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.