Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
“Rules of Acquisition”
|Episode Number||27 (2.07)|
|Story||Hilary J. Bader|
|Teleplay||Ira Steven Behr|
Grand Nagus Zek selects Quark to negotiate the Ferengi expansion into the Gamma Quadrant. During the negotiations, he comes to rely on the assistance of a young Ferengi waiter, Pel, who is hiding a surprising secret. As the negotiations grow in intensity, their relationship becomes more complex. In a shocking revelation, Pel tells Dax that he is actually a she — and that she is in love with Quark. When a jealous Rom discovers that Quark has broken one of the "Rules of Acquisition" — taking advice from a woman — he threatens to expose them both and blow the most profitable opportunity in Ferengi history.Guest Cast
Wallace Shawn (Grand Nagus Zek)
Max Grodénchik (Rom)
Hélène Udy (Pel)
Tiny Ron (Maihar'du)
Brian Thompson (Inglatu)
Emilia Crow (Zyree)
- This is the first episode in which we hear of the Dominion, which will become a major part of Deep Space Nine's story line.
- The first time this episode was broadcast, the title of the episode was incorrectly spelled "Rules of Aquisition"!
- This is the first appearance of a Ferengi female. Sort of...
- This is the second appearance of Grand Nagus Zek and Maihar'du.
- This is the beginning of Ferengi trade negotiations with the Gamma Quadrant. They are purchasing 10,000 vats of tulaberry wine from the Dosi.
- Pel states that there are 285 Rules of Acquisition.