Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
“Strange New Worlds”
|Episode Number||1 (1.01)|
|Stardate||2259.42 (Year 2259)|
|Story||Akiva Goldsman & Alex Kurtzman & Jenny Lumet|
When one of Pike’s officers goes missing while on a secret mission for Starfleet, Pike has to come out of self-imposed exile. He must navigate how to rescue his officer, while struggling with what to do with the vision of the future he’s been given.Starring
Anson Mount (Captain Christopher Pike)
Ethan Peck (Lieutenant Spock)
Jess Bush (Nurse Christine Chapel)
Christina Chong (Lt. La'an Noonien-Singh)
Celia Rose Gooding (Cadet Nyota Uhura)
Melissa Navia (Lt. Erica Ortegas)
Babs Olusanmokun (Dr. Joseph M'Benga)
Bruce Horak (Lieutenant Hemmer)
and Rebecca Romijn (Lt. Commander Una Chin-Riley)
Adrian Holmes (Admiral Robert April)
Dan Jeannotte (Lt. Samuel Kirk)
Gia Sandhu (T'Pring)
Melanie Scrofano (Captain Batel)
Samantha Smith (Kiley Eldreth Leader)
Carla Bennett (Palion Aide #2)
Jon Blair (Kiley Guard #2)
Peter Bou-Ghannam (Palion Leader)
Marienne Castro (Shuttle Pilot)
Bessie Cheng (Eldreth Aide #2)
John Chou (Kiley Scientist #1)
Joseph Daly (Eldreth Aide #1)
Myles Dobson (Vulcan Waiter)
Rong Fu (Lt. Jenna Mitchell)
Chandra Galasso (Lieutenant)
Jaimee Joe Gonzaga (Terminal Jockey #2)
Sandy Kerr (Starfleet Scientist #1/Lieutenant Key)
André Dae Kim (Chief Kyle)
David Kirby (Palion Aide #1)
Joel LaCoursiere (Kiley Guard #1)
Dana Levenson (Newscaster)
Andrew Locke (Terminal Jockey #1)
Etan Muskat (Starfleet Scientist #2/Ensign Hadad)
Daniel Pagett (Kiley Scientist #2)
Rachel Sellan (Woman in Elevator)
- Series premiere.
- Una was on the U.S.S. Archer NCC-627 for first contact with the planet Kiley 279 after a warp signature was detected. (The Archer had a crew of 3 — Lt Cmdr Chin-Riley in command with two astrophysicist specialists, Lieutenant Key and Ensign Hadad.)
- The Archer on-screen crew manifest is the first time Number One's surname is given. (It also names the two astrophysicists who are credited as Starfleet Scientist #1 and #2.)
- Kiley 279 is a planet with two warring factions, the Eldreth government and the Palion revolutionaries. They did not develop warp drive, but a warp bomb. The Kiley star system is close to Xahea and they detected the fight between Control and U.S.S. Discovery ("Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2"). They used this data to develop a bomb to fight their civil war.
- This episode introduces Lt. Ortegas, the helm officer and Lt. La'an Noonien-Singh who becomes chief of security at the end of the episode.
- Uhura is a Starfleet Academy cadet here, a linguist prodigy, in training rotation.
- Dr. M'Benga appeared in two classic Trek episodes ("A Private Little War" and "That Which Survives"). In the classic series, he was a staff physician under Dr. McCoy.
- Christine Chapel is serving in sickbay as part of the Stanford Morehouse Epigenetic Project exchange program.
- Lt. Samuel Kirk is transferred to the Enterprise at the end of the episode. He is the brother of James T. Kirk, and appeared on screen as a corpse in the classic episode "Operation: Annihilate!", played by William Shatner with a moustache. He is in the life sciences division, reporting to Spock.
- Bruce Horak (Hemmer) only appears at the end of the episode, transporting in with the crew rotation. He has no speaking lines.
- This episode debuted simultaneously with the Star Trek: Picard season 2 finale, "Farewell".